A permanent resident may travel outside the U.S., using a valid passport of another country (in your case your East African passport).
The Tourist Indian visa application procedure is as follows:
- Complete the online application form correctly, attaching the uploaded digital photograph according to specifications
- Submit the online application form
- Keep the Application ID which is automatically generated after submission to use for further communications
- The system will automatically ask for confirmation whether an appointment is required. If you are not a national of any of the countries permitted entry into India through the e-Tourist scheme, you will need to make an appointment. Otherwise, your e-Visa application is made entirely online
- For appointments, the print-out of the online application form must be submitted to the relevant Indian Mission together with the required supporting documents
- Schedule appointment with the Indian Mission relevant to your U.S. jurisdiction, if applicable
- Payment of Visa fee, service charge, and VAT using IVAC’s payment system
- E-Tourist visa is emailed to applicant/Regular tourist visa is issued in the applicant’s passport.