India has so much to offer the foreign visitor, and it shows in the number of tourists entering the country every year, for various reasons. It is now easier than ever for nationals of those countries eligible to apply for a travel visa to India online. Eligible travelers must have a return or onward journey ticket, be visiting India for tourism or business purposes, to attend a conference, or for medical reasons and have sufficient funds for the period of their stay in India.
OVERVIEW AND COST
Applicants whose e-Visa applications are rejected may still apply for a regular visa at an Indian Consulate, as can those applicants needing a visa for a longer stay or those not eligible for the e-Visa. To start the process, applicants fill in and submit the online application form. The application form must be printed out, signed and submitted together with the passport and the requisite supporting documents to the relevant Indian Visa Application Center or directly to the Indian Consulate. An appointment must first be made for a visa application for India to the appointed Indian Consulate, and instructions for making the appointment and completing the online form are available on our website and the website of the relevant Indian Consulate.
Getting a visa for India carries varying fees, which are non-refundable, regardless of the success of the application. Fees range can be up to $822.70, according to the duration of the visa and the country of origin from which application is made. Certain nationalities can get a visa to India at no cost.
TIME RESTRICTIONS TO KEEP IN MIND
Notwithstanding the simplicity and time-saving implications of getting a visa to India through the online e-Visa scheme, timing is of importance.
- Applications must be completed online at least 4 days in advance of the date of arrival with a window of 30 days. Travelers, therefore, applying on 1st December must choose an arrival date between 5th December and 4th January
- Approval of the online application process takes at least 4 business days, and consideration must be made for the approval to be issued by email
- The applicant’s passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date of arrival in India
- The fee must be paid a minimum of 4 days before the expected date of travel for the visa application for India to be processed
- The validity of the visa is 60 days from the date of arrival in India
- The e-Visa permits up to two visits in a calendar year
For online e-Visa applications, the following must be uploaded during the online application:
- scanned the first page of passport in PDF format between 10kB and 300kB in size;
- digital photograph in JPEG format, square without borders, 10kB to 1 MB in size, against a plain light or white background.
Following the successful online application submission, including supporting documents and online payment, a receipt number is issued with which to track the progress of your application. Approval is received in the form of a confirmation email in PDF format, which provides the full details of your e-Visa. This PDF document must be printed out and kept on your person throughout your travels to and within India.
PORTS OF ENTRY
The e-Tourist visa to India permits entry through 5 seaports and 28 designated airports including Mumbai, New Delhi, Goa, Kolkata, Jaipur, Chennai, Cochin, Bengaluru, Trivandrum, and Hyderabad.
Exits are however permitted through any authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) throughout India.