So you would like to travel to India from America. With millions of US citizens making the trip over the years, it is now even easier than ever before for U.S citizens to get a short stay visa for India. To apply for Indian visa, U.S citizens are eligible for the online application (e-Tourist) facility introduced by the Indian government in November 2014. For longer stays or one of the many Indian visas not available through the online application route, the Indian Consulate General has outsourced its visa processing to a Visa Application Centre, which is represented in many cities throughout America.
The Indian Government offers a wide selection of visas depending on the reason for visiting India. These include the Business Visa, Conference Visa, Diplomatic Visa, Employment Visa, Emergency Visa, Entry Visa, Journalist Visa, Medical Visa, Missionary’s Visa, Mountaineering Visa, Research Visa, Student Visa, Tourist Visa (longer than 6 month stay), Transit Visa, Intern Visa, Film Visa, and Permit to re-enter within 2 months. Once you have made your application, the Consulate General of India takes at least three days to issue the visa. The time frame is merely a guideline, since applications for emergency visas may take only hours to process, and applications which may require additional information may take longer.
Regardless of which visa application route used, U.S citizens require a passport that is valid for six months after the date of arrival in India and has two blank pages for the immigration stamps.
APPLY FOR INDIAN TOURIST VISA ONLINE
Citizens of the USA are among the citizens of the more than 160 countries eligible to apply for the Indian Tourist, Business or Medical visa online. Applications can be made between 4 and 120 days prior to departure to India. A foreign national may apply for the e-Tourist visa online, for the purposes of recreation, sightseeing, casual visits, or to attend a short-term yoga program. On the e-Business Visa, a foreign national may visit for business purposes. The e-Medical Visa allows a foreign national entry to undergo short-stay medical treatment including treatment under Indian systems of medicine.
The procedure is simple. Go online to complete the visa application form. As an Indian Visa Agency, we can assist you in applying online for an Indian visa in a simple 3-step process:
- Step 1: Apply online for an electronic visa
- Step 2: Submit Payment (PayPal payments are accepted)
- Step 3: You will receive your electronic travel authority via email in PDF format. Print a copy and carry it for the duration of the trip. Biometrics are captured on arrival at the designated ports in India.
Approval should be received within 3 to 5 business days.
DOCUMENTS SUBMISSION WHEN YOU APPLY ONLINE FOR INDIAN VISA
To apply for Indian visa other than the e-Visa, the process begins with completing the same online application form. Documents to be submitted during the online application are:
- The scanned first page of passport in PDF or JPEG format. Photo page of Passport must show personal details such as name, date of birth, nationality, and expiry date.
- Digital photograph in PDF or JPEG format that meets the specified requirements.
Handwritten applications are not acceptable wherever online facilities are provided. The USA is among the many countries in which the Consulate General of India has outsourced the processing of visas to outside agencies which specialize in visa processing. These VACs only process the applications, and the Indian Consulate still issues the visa.
When an interview is required, supporting documents must be produced at the interview, these depend on the type of visa required but are usually:
- Passport valid for 6 months after the date of arrival in India, with 2 blank pages;
- Signed application form, and one recent 2 x 2 passport type color photograph, front view against a plain/white background;
- Proof of State Residency: Identity cards/valid driver’s license; recent utility bills (water, gas, electric, sewage), not older than 90 days; Copy of valid lease showing the signature of landlord and tenant;
- Signed additional particulars form;
- Copy of payment receipt;
- Visa checklist;
- Order form; and
- Courier service form.
Apply for Indian visa and experience this country of intrigue.